Tuesday, July 21, 2015

July Ipsy Reviews!

So the results are in folks, for those of you that were just dying to here how my extra-special birthday bag goodies were.  In total I'd give my random bag (not including the two items I picked out and purchased with my points):
First up for review:  Jelly Pong Pong Cosmetics 2-in-1 Shadow/Liner in Bronze.  So their website description of this product is:  "A uniquely formulated crayon that doubles as an eyeliner for thick, precise lines as well as a perfectly-blended eye shadow.  Creamy texture with long-lasting hold, made with pure beeswax."
Well, it's a nice product.  I wasn't a fan of it as an eye shadow per say, I like shadow that goes on easy, either roll-on or in powder form.  This was definitely crayon form and I had to "cake" it on as an eye shadow.  However, when using it as just an eyeliner, it went on rather easily and had a nice copper tone to it.  I normally rock black eyeliner, so it made my look more subtle than normal.  With a $16 price tag, I don't believe I'd order it, but I still give Jelly Pong Pong a B+

Next up for review:  Eau Thermale Avène Cleanance Gel Soapless Cleanser.  This product...nervous upon receiving it.  The entirety of the bottle text was in another language, what appears to be French.  The ingredients all seemed to be normal in cleansers so I tested it anyways.  This product made my face break out like crazy!  I don't know what it was, but it was like hitting puberty within hours of using it.  It did have a great cleaning quality to it; I was able to painlessly wash off mascara and black eyeliner with it.  A full-sized bottle is $20.  I definitely would not purchase!!
Overall, I gave Eau Themale Avene a D.

Next:  Coolway Beachy Salt Spray.  On their site, this product boasts:  "Perfect for creating beachy waves and natural styles, for a non-sticky matte finished look."  The bottle says to use on damp or dry hair.  My first attempt using this product I used on damp hair.  The plus side was that it didn't have that typical hair spray smell.  The minus side was that it didn't really help make my hair look beachy or hold waves.  I decided to give a second attempt on dry hair the following day.  Day #2 attempt...well, I had a hair spray feel.  My hair was quite sticky, and it made it very frizzy (although, I guess that's true to their statement...when I go to the beach my hair normally does frizz!).
I'm not a big fan of hair spray in the first place, and the stickiness this product left in my hair after the dry usage is precisely why.  $12.95 per bottle, I would not purchase.  But, because they did hold true to some of their claims, I gave Coolway a C-.

Next up:  Aurora Gel Effect Nail Polish in 4 Alarm Fire.  This product I'm impressed with.  On their site they state they deliver the salon-quality gel manicure without UV-lamps or professional equipment.  Now I must confess, the directions recommend using a base coat, apply 2 layers of color and then top coat, and it should air dry within 3-4 minutes.  I didn't have a base coat, and my top coat is kinda blah, so I just put on one layer of the polish to see how it would do.  It was quick-drying, didn't even take the 3-4 minutes (although I didn't have 4 layers on, so that could explain it).  It's been on a week, and even with my nail chewing (you can see the tips gone in the picture lol), the polish is standing strong.  Even with an entire day out swimming, where the chlorine normally would eat polish away.  I haven't been to a nail salon in so long that this polish feels like a $50 manicure!  Plus:  I used it on my daughters (because they love having their nails done as well).  It has been 4 days, and somehow this polish has survived my 4 year old, who normally has hers chewed off within the hour!
These bottle are normally $12, but are on sale right now for $7.99.  Even at full price, I would purchase a few other colors to mix up my mani.  It's a great product.
I give it an A+.


Finally, the last item in my actual glam bag:  Be A Bombshell Cosmetics Lip Balm in Ruby.  Their site boasts:  "Hydrating formula to leave lips feeling silky smooth with a hint of color."  I must admit, when I heard ruby lip balm, I thought of my previous matte balms and got excited for a nice bright red.  That wasn't the case with this, the color is very faint.  And although it's listed as ruby, it's more of a pink shade by the time it shows up on your lips.  It was, however, true to form.  It hydrated and made my lips feel amazing while it was on, and it lasted several hours before I had to reapply!  Be a Bombshell is known for good-quality products and this did not let me down.  $14 per tube.  A little more than I'd be willing to pay for a lip balm, but I still grade it with an A+.

Lastly, my two purchases:  Bodyography Natural Finish Face Bronzer.  On their site, they describe this product as "a product that will give your skin that Caribbean glow...naturally!  Created with minerals for every skin tone, this buildable formula is packed with powerful anti-aging ingredients.  Natural Finish Face Bronzer imparts a revitalized feeling to the skin while providing light coverage and a gorgeous, natural looking tan!"  Not a lie.  This is the first bronzer that I didn't have to worry about shade-matching with.  It blended right in to my skin tone and left a nice "extra tan" (since my face isn't quite as tan as my body somehow).  I also loved that the formula is sparkly.  My fiancee was going to test it out (he's very fair complexion) until he saw that...apparently sparkles are only for male vampires?
Anywho, at $27 a bottle, I'd say it's definitely worth it.  I think this one may last me some time, but it's possible I'll be purchasing another one when I run out!  A+

Always save the best for last, right?  Buxom Eyeshadow Bar Single Eyeshadow in Gold Status. I realized while writing this that the link in my last post for this amazing product wasn't working.  Honestly, I'm not trying to keep it all to myself!   But seriously, if you haven't guessed it, I love love love this eyeshadow!!  Such a gorgeous gold shade, with just the right amount of sparkle.  Sephora shows 40 shades for this brand (although some are sold out online).  I believe I'll be picking up some more my next trip out there!  They're $12 per shadow and $2 for an empty compact case (I'm sure you don't need the case, but mine came along with my purchase from Ipsy).  Long-lasting color.  Definitely an A+.

So that's it, that was my amazing July bag.
Keep an eye out for the end of the week or early next week.  Our Loot Crate subscription box should be in the mail and we'll post all our cool gadgets as well (hubby gets to keep most of the stuff, although I steal the T-shirts and managed to get the super-hero ice cube tray and Game of Thrones magnets away from him!).
Also, since it is my birthday this weekend, we'll be disappearing Friday and Saturday, taking a day trip up to Niagara Falls (although we have to stay state-side because of the passport requirement now).  Then Saturday we'll be coming home and going to the Hotel we're having our wedding ceremony and reception at, get that all squared away financially and make the final arrangements with the caterer...plan decorations and seating charts with my maid of honor.
Our invitations are being printed as we speak, custom-made by a friend's wife and boy, did she do a fantastic job!!).  I've subcontracted the baking of the cake and cupcakes (I know, lazy me!) to a young lady I saw on facebook.  She's a baker at the local Walmart and goes to the local community college for culinary but does her own baking on the side.  Her work is quite impressive, and for a cake to feed 30+ and 50 cupcakes she's only charging $125, which isn't bad at all considering the original place we wanted to make the cake, the cake alone would have been $175!
Oh, did I mention...only 102 days until my wedding?  :D
And for those worried about the blogger behind the blog:  I'm doing good, just dealing with this pregnancy.  This child does not like most of the foods that I eat (it's not mine, it doesn't like stuffed crust pizza!) and it seems impossible to be able to swallow my own saliva because if any little bit of phlegm goes down, I'm running for the toilet.  I'm 9.5 weeks right now.  Hopefully this subsides with the end of the first trimester and I'll be back to normal.
I am back to work...officially as of tomorrow.  Only took them a month and a half, but they finally got my restrictions figured out.  Amazingly, I still haven't received the 176 hours of disability pay I was supposed to be receiving while I was out.  Smh...the way their employee resource center is set up...well, it's not to be a resource for employees, that's for sure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment