Friday, July 10, 2015

Cooking with Jack

I'm not allowed to drink, so rather than expect my fiancee to take care of all the alcohol in our house (although in reality he really wouldn't mind), I've decided to find as many recipes with alcohol as possible.  Finished off the rest of our bottle of Jack Daniels tonight with this amazing marinade for steak.

Marinated Jack Daniel's Barbecue Flank Steak
1 1/2 lbs flank steak
1/2 cup Jack Daniel's Original No. 7 Barbecue Grilling Sauce
1/4 cup Jack Daniel's whiskey
1 scallion, chopped
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 ice cubes

In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of Jack Daniel's Grilling Sauce with the whiskey and set aside.
In a small saucepot, saute the scallion in vegetable oil until lightly browned and reduce heat.
Add Grilling sauce mixture and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
Remove from stove, stir in remaining Grilling Sauce and ice cubes to chill the sauce.
Once sauce is completely cooled, pour over flank steak to marinate.
Place into resealable plastic bag and allow to marinate for 4-24 hours in refrigerator, turning occasionally to distribute marinade evenly.
Grill steak over medium heat to desired doneness, turning halfway through.
For added flavor, brush additional marinade on steak while grilling.

That with some loaded potato salad and creamed corn, with cherry turn-overs for dessert.  Mmmmm-mmmm, good!
Jeff surprised the girls and I yesterday on his way home from work.  He stopped for gas, and picked us all up chocolate bars for after dinner.  Something as small as that makes me all heart-happy and teary-eyed.  I've always longed for a relationship where the little romantic things are done regularly, and this man....he's exactly it.  He's what I've always wanted, what I always needed.
He didn't respond the best when we first found out I was pregnant.  He was nervous, obviously, and since he just finally started college, he was concerned how that would pan out.  But as time's going by, he's getting so much better.  He has literally crawled out of bed at 1AM to go get me food from Sheetz.  He has gone out of his way to get something specific for me on his way home from work.  And he's been so loving with me, which is exactly what I crave right now...I'm truly blessed to have him.
And his demeanor with the girls...it hasn't changed.  He's still amazing with them.  Overly so.  He plans on adopting them both when we're married.  That way, by the time the baby comes, we'll all have the same last name.
The girls...they're amazing.  I expected some negativity from Viv as she's always said she doesn't want another baby sibling, but she's adjusted well and is always coming over and hugging my belly, kissing it.  Schylar...well she's just this big cuddly lovebug, always has been.  

No comments:

Post a Comment