Saturday, March 14, 2015

Dun Dun Da Dun


I made a lemon shaker pie to celebrate Pie Day.  The outside ring of crust burnt.  It was in for less time than the recipe called.  WTF?  Really -_-
Anyway, the true reason of why I'm here is to announce:  I'M GETTING MARRIED!
It wasn't a romantic proposal.  I guess I'm 0/3 with that.  But we'd been talking about, and I said that within the next year I either wanted to get married or start trying for a baby.  He took his time deciding, but eventually said let's get married.  Poured me a glass of wine, himself a shot of Jack, we said "Cheers" and made it official.
So far plans are going good.  We chose October 31, 2015 (Halloween wedding, of course!) as the official date.  Doing a fall-themed wedding with a masquerade Halloween reception.  We've gotten the guest list finalized.  I actually found both my wedding dress (red) and the girls dresses (Viv's is a coral/orange and Schy's is yellow).  Ordered his wedding ring.  Printed our save the date cards.  Picked our venue and photographer.  And so far, spent under $200!

Made the Save the Dates myself with use of the trial of Paint Shop Pro X7 they have on their website.  My best friend had some cardstock leftover from her wedding invitations and she was able to print them for me, costing me $0.
The girls dresses are actually Easter dresses from Boscov's, but they were the perfect colors for my theme.  They were on sale 40% off so I couldn't say no!
My dress I found at a locally owned dress shop, Pretty Woman.  After going to nine bridal and gown shops, I was ready to give up for the day.  Alicia and I decided to stop at the Colonial Park Mall since it was near where she lived and sure enough, we saw a red formal gown hanging in the window.  I liked it, but as I made my way to the back of the store, fell in love with THE dress.  Of course I won't post photos of that in case my fiancee stumbles across my blog.  It's simple, but elegant.  It's form-fitting but flowy.  And it was only $130!
I'm considering joining Planet Fitness to try to get in better shape (and tanning is a bonus of course)!  Alicia has been going and LOVES her gym.  My problem is having enough free time to go to the gym.  I could go while Viv is in school and just drop Schylar off at Pappy's for a few hours.
The girls have spent two weekends in a row having sleepovers with their pappy.  They absolutely love it, and I know he enjoys the company.  Since my mom passed away, he's pretty much all alone at the house.  Having their chaos for a few hours is a nice change.
Hoping since it's starting to warm up, that we'll be able to venture up to the Hotel we're having our ceremony and reception at so I can take pictures and start planning decorations.  I've been loving Pinterest for the ideas there!
Our honeymoon...that was a surprise.  Wasn't planning on taking one at all honestly.  We recently signed up with Ambit Energy to save money on our electric by having them be our direct supplier.  As a user, we earn travel rewards for every kWh of electric we use.  As a bonus, when you sign up they provide an expense paid accommodation of 3 days/2 nights at one of a select list of locations.  If our budget stays on track, we'll be spending a bit more to get passport cards and heading to Niagara Falls
If our budgeting isn't quite as wonderful, then we'll stick to somewhere a bit closer to home, the Poconos!
Considering I hadn't initially imagined we would have the extra $$$ to get away, either would be amazing.  I haven't been to Canada since I was 4 years old though, and somehow didn't realize it was only 5.5 hours away, so that is my top pick!
It's a wonderful thing that he is getting involved in planning though.  I had initially thought of having a Halloween themed reception.  My best friend suggested masquerade masks instead so people wouldn't need to worry with whole costumes.  When I suggested that to him, he was ecstatic.  Apparently he's always wanted to have a masquerade party, but never had the reason.  Now we do ;)
He also started talking about wedding bands, and what he wanted.  We're both nerds, let's face it.  He liked the idea of having a ring like in The Lord of the Rings.  Something with the engraving:  Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.  After reading the translation, I was sold...it means: One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.  Thought it was rather cute the find and bind for a wedding band.  Anyways, found this little beauty:
On Ebay, of all places, on sale for $14 plus free shipping!  Normally a $50-$60 ring.  And it's tungsten, so it's good quality, not cheap.  It's ordered and should be delivered this week.  So I guess we're off to a pretty good start!
The hotel is not charging us for use of the venue, just the food.  He knows the owner, his first job was actually working for her at the hotel.  She's working up a couple menu options for us that won't break the budget but are the kind of foods we like.  I'm not against having burgers and hot wings at my wedding reception...yes, I'm that girl lol.
Well, I guess as of now this blog is taking a turn towards being a wedding-on-a-budget blog!  Our goal is under $2500 and we're well on track now with the major items being well under what was budgeted for!

1 comment:

  1. I love wedding planning! Can't wait to hear how everything turns out :)

    ReplyDelete